We've built cities and highways across once unconquerable lands, fostered community and relationships between friends, foes, and family, and created an inimitable and long-lasting culture of art and expression. We believe there's just one thing that can account for all of this compassion and creativity: Humanity.
We're inviting you to capture the moments that reveal the enduring spirit, endless contrast, and the very depth and breadth of Humanity in this new photo contest.
Bring us your view of the human experience and the human effect, at the highest of peaks and most profound of valleys. Submissions for this contest will close on April 28th. This is a national photography contest and traditional photography and mobile device photography images will be accepted. We encourage students to enter at a special discounted student price.
• Accepted Images can be printed on wood, metal, glass, or traditionally printed/framed. The DARKROOM expects current gallery conventions. If framed, simple, black frames only. If matted, white/eggshell matt only.
• Wires on the back of each print are required.
• Sizes (horizontal dimension) 12 inches ~5 feet (large pieces encouraged).
• Finished pieces must have artist name, image title and price on back
• The DARKROOM reserves the right to refuse to hang pieces that do not fit the criteria.
Make your payment via PayPal (you can use your credit card or PayPal). You will receive a confirmation email from PayPal.
Size your images at 1200 pixels on the long side, 72 dpi, no larger than 2 megabytes, jpegs only
Label your jpg with the following: NAME_Title.jpg
Please do not leave spaces or use special characters like: @#&!
Attach images to email with PayPal Transaction I.D. number and send to: [email protected]
All images accepted into the contest and exhibited at the DARKROOM gallery will be for sale and a 40% commission fee (minus credit card processing fees when applicable) will be paid to the DARKROOM upon sale.
Balancing Act. Photo by Maureen Ruddy Burkhart.
Maureen Ruddy Burkhart, Executive Juror and Award-Winning Documentary Photographer -
Julie Cardinal, - Juror and Director/Curator – The DARKROOM @ Bin 46
About Our Executive Juror, Maureen Ruddy Burkhart, BFA
Maureen is passionate about photography. She bases her photography on her love for humankind and the natural world. Even in the face of adversity, she strives to find beauty. She believes that art, especially photography, has the power to change the world, one heart at a time. Throughout her career, Maureen has lived and worked domestically and abroad as an award- winning fine art and documentary photographer, which gives her a very unique perspective on the topic of ‘Humanity’. Among her most recent accomplishments is the culmination of a 3 year project in Kenya’s largest slum; “Kibera: A Slice of Heaven”. Her Kibera project has been exhibited internationally and has won numerous awards including the Lucie’s Deeper Perspective Award, The Moscow International Foto Awards, and Adore Noir Magazine’s Portfolio Prize. Her Africa documentary work has been published in Slate.com and the DailyMail.com.
• 1st place - $1,000
• 2nd place - $200
• 3rd place - $100
• Honorable Mentions
• Top 50 images will be featured in our online gallery
• Opening reception (June 9th) provides media coverage, food, beer & wine
*Contest images may be used for promotional purposes. Gallery reserves the right to disqualify pieces that do not meet the criteria. Please note that submission does NOT guarantee entry to the exhibition.
Questions? Please call (303) 485-7191
• Entries accepted from March 6th to April 28th, 2017
• Notification of acceptance – May 1st 2017
• Hand deliveries to the DARKROOM @ Bin 46, 600 Longs Peak Avenue, Longmont, CO – May 27th and 28th, 2017 from 12-4PM
• Shipped pieces accepted - Ship to Julie Cardinal, 1403 Third Avenue, Longmont, CO 80501. No shipping to gallery!
• No glass on shipped items. Plexiglass okay. Must be shipped via UPS or FedEx with return shipping label attached
• Exhibition Opens on Friday, June 9th in our special exhibit space at the DARKROOM @ Bin 46 from 6-9pm. Winners announced.
• Show runs through July 29th at The DARKROOM @ Bin 46.
• PICKUP: Unsold Photographs MUST BE PICKED UP on Sunday, July 30th from 12-5pm at Bin 46. Items left over 30 days will become property of the DARKROOM.
Gallery reserves the right to disqualify pieces that do not meet the criteria. Please note that submission does NOT guarantee entry to the exhibition. Entrants whose work will be displayed in the DARKROOM Gallery will be contacted. Questions? Please call 303-485-7191.